IBPS PO Syllabus Exam & Pattern 2016 – Prelims & Mains
Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) will be conducting written examination for the recruitment of Probationary Officer/ Management Trainee vacancies in Public Sector Banks. IBPS has released the official notification regarding IBPS CWE PO/ MT Recruitment 2016.
This year IBPS PO examination will be conducted in the months of October and November. However, these dates can get moved in the days to come. To acquaint yourself with the important information regarding the exam dates, eligibility criteria etc., head on this link.
As the exam is nearly a few months away, it is time for the candidates to start the preparation. This year, IBPS PO exam will be conducted online and will follow the same selection process i.e 3 Tier Process. In this article, we will give information regarding the new exam pattern for IBPS PO. We will also share the updated IBPS PO syllabus for the year 2016.
IBPS PO Exam Pattern 2016
As per IBPS, the examination will be conducted online following a 3 tier selection process i.e Preliminary examination, Main examination and Interview. Candidates need to qualify at each level in order to move to the next round.
Tier I: IBPS PO Prelims 2016
Similar to SBI PO, the IBPS PO Prelims Examination is an Objective MCQ based paper with 3 sections – Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language.
|Name of the Section||No. of Questions||Max. Marks|
The total time duration for all the three papers is 1 hour. Candidates have to qualify in each of the three tests by securing cut-off marks to be decided by IBPS. Shortlisted candidates for each category, meeting the specified requirements set by IBPS, will only be allowed to appear for the IBPS PO mains examination.
Tier II: IBPS PO Mains 2016
The pattern of Mains Examination will be Objective MCQ based. There will be 5 sections – Reasoning, English, Quantitative Aptitude, General Awareness and Computer Knowledge. This year, there is a major change in the IBPS PO exam pattern for mains paper. Each section will have separate time slots for each paper of the Mains examination. This change has been mentioned in the table below:
|Name of the Section||Questions||Marks||Time Slot
|General Awareness (with special reference to Banking)||40||40||20|
Both preliminary and main examinations will have negative marking. For every wrong answer, there is a negative marking of 0.25 mark. The examination will be bilingual in nature- English and Hindi.
Candidates need to secure minimum cut off marks which will be decided by IBPS. Those who qualify will be called up for the final round viz Interview.
The candidates who are shortlisted on the basis on their performance in IBPS PO Mains Examination will be called for the Interview. The Final Merit List will be based on the scores secured in Mains Examination and Interview Round. Interviews will be conducted at select centres which will be informed through the call letter.
After getting familiar with the IBPS PO exam pattern and selection process, let’s talk about the section wise IBPS PO Syllabus for the year 2016.
IBPS PO Syllabus 2016
Since there is a predefined time slot for each section, you need to be well informed regarding all the topics specific to each section of IBPS PO 2016. We have mentioned the entire IBPS PO syllabus 2016 in a constructive format.
IBPS PO Reasoning Syllabus
This section will consist of questions based on Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning from following topics:
- Decision Making
- Word Formation
- Series, Decoding & Coding
- Blood Relation
- Symbol & Notation
- Statement & Conclusion
- Sitting Arrangement
IBPS PO English Language Syllabus
This section will consist of questions on basic understanding of English Language from the following topics:
- Completion of sentence
- Grammar Errors
- Passage Completion
- Synonyms & Antonyms
IBPS PO Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus
This section will consist of questions based on numerical ability from the following topics:
- Arithmetic & Data Interpretation
- Bar Graphs
- Line Graphs & Tabulation
- Time & Work
- Time And Distance
- Profit & Loss
IBPS PO General Awareness
This Section will consist of questions based on General and Financial Awareness from following topics:
IBPS PO Computer Knowledge Syllabus
In this section, basic knowledge about the world of computers will be put to test. Topics are mentioned below:
- MS Office suite
- Operating systems
- Computer networks
- Internet E-commerce
SBI PO 2016 Mains Exam New Pattern:
- SBI PO Main Examination will consist of Objective Tests for 200 marks and Descriptive Test for 25 marks.
- Both the Objective and Descriptive Tests will be online.
- Candidates will have to answer Descriptive test by typing on the computer.
- Immediately after completion of Objective Test, Descriptive Test will be administered.
- The objective test of 3 hours duration consist of 4 Sections for total 200 marks.
- The objective test will have separate timing for every section.
- The candidates are required to qualify in each of the Tests by securing passing marks, to be decided by the Bank.
Descriptive Section Pattern:
Along with the objective type question, the Main Exam will have questions in the descriptive format as well. Following are the important points to ponder for the written examination:
- The Descriptive Test will be of 30 minutes duration comprising of 50 marks.
- The test will be of English Language (Letter Writing and Essay).
- The candidates are required to qualify in the Descriptive Test by securing passing marks, to be decided by the Bank.
- Descriptive Test paper of only those candidates will be evaluated who have scored qualifying marks in the Objective Tests and are placed adequately high as per total marks in Objective Test.
- This test will judge the writing skills of the candidates.
Changes observed in Descriptive Test:
- The descriptive paper will carry 50 marks and the time duration will be 30 minutes. Earlier, the total time duration for descriptive paper was 60 minutes.
Other posts you might be interested in: