How to Prepare for IBPS PO Exam – English Language
The Institute of Banking Personnel (IBPS) will conduct IBPS CWE PO/ MT Recruitment Examination in the month of October 2016. In order to secure good marks and qualify in IBPO PO Prelims 2016, here is a proper study plan on how to crack IBPS PO English Language section.
We will be providing important pointers about the Prelims Exam first. So, let us begin by understanding the exam pattern for IBPS PO Prelims 2016, followed by Tips to crack IBPS PO Exam.
Revisiting IBPS PO Exam Pattern 2016 (Prelims)
The Preliminary Examination for IBPS CWE PO/ MT will be a Computer-Based Test (CBT) and the pattern will be Objective MCQ type. There will be 100 questions in total from 3 sections – English Language, Numerical Ability and Reasoning Ability.
|Section Name||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks|
Some of the essential details related to IBPS PO Prelims 2016 are as follows.
- The total number of questions will be 100.
- The Paper mode will be English/ Hindi.
- Each question carries 1 mark.
- The total time to solve the entire paper is 60 minutes.
- There will be sectional and overall cutoff.
Marks secured in IBPS PO Prelims will be taken into consideration while selecting candidates for Mains. The exam pattern for IBPS CWE PO/ MT Examination is pretty straight-forward but lets us see how we can crack this recruitment examination in the most efficient manner.
How to Prepare for IBPS PO English Language 2016
Most IBPS candidates are able to secure good marks in this section but there is a significant number which find IBPS PO English Language Section confusing.
|Topics||Number of Questions|
|Spot the Error||5|
|Fill in the Blanks/ Para Jumbles||5|
We are going to highlight the tips for all of these topics one by one so that we can concentrate on each and every aspect individually.
Each aspirant must be able to answer the following questions after they’ve read this article on How to Prepare for IBPS PO English Language Section.
How do I start preparing for IBPS PO English Language section?
Can I prepare for IBPS PO English Language Topic-Wise?
Which topics in IBPS PO English Language are easy to crack?
How much time should I dedicate towards IBPS PO English Language?
So, without any further build-up, this our take on How to Prepare for IBPS PO English Language 2016.
Preparation Tips for Reading Comprehension
IBPS PO English Language Section is predominantly filled with RC questions. Hence, to secure good marks, you need to be a pro at solving reading comprehension question.
- Read the entire passage carefully and then read all the questions.
- Do not try to attempt questions straight-away without reading and only referring to the passage for each question. Read the passage first and then answer the referenced questions.
- For Synonyms and Antonyms in IBPS PO English Language Section, refer to the line in which they are mentioned and try to infer their meaning by analyzing the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
Preparation Tips for Cloze Passage
An IBPS candidate with a sound understanding of English Grammar and basic sentence structuring can easily solve Cloze Passage questions in IBPS PO English Language Section.
- Read the passage and go according to the flow.
- Cloze Test are considered to be one of the easiest questions, only if attempted properly. Though it can prove to be complicated as one error can cost you a lot of marks as all the blanks that are to be filled are inter-related.
- If you are confused or are unsure about any particular blank that you have to fill, just avoid it and go for the next one. If you are able to fill in the next blank, then you can come back to the previous one and try again by co-relating.
Preparation Tips for Fill in the Blanks
- Here, you can try the Elimination approach by eliminating the less-favorable options. This will make it easier for you to choose the correct answer.
- You can also go with rule-the-odd-one-out-strategy. Think logically and rule-out the option which is less likely to comply with the sentence.
Preparation Tips for Spotting the Error
- Believe in yourself and eliminate options by reading the sentence after filling in the options mentally and asking yourself “Does this sound right?”.
Preparation Tips for Sentence Correction
- Understand the sentence and if you can decipher the meaning of the sentence, it will be easier for you to correct the sentence.
- Try segregating the sentence in to two sentences and then try to combine them after correcting each.
- Look for connecting words that form a pair and arrange them accordingly to form a sentence which is meaningful.
Preparation Tips for Parajumbles
- Analyze the theme of each para jumble and then try to restoring the paragraph in the right order.
- Try to synchronize the course of events in the form of activities based on logic so as to what is done first followed by others.
- Try to spot articles (a, the, etc.), connectives, pronouns (they, he, she, etc.) and adjectives. These will help you to deduce the sequence of events.
Previous Years IBPS PO Exam Papers & Mock Test Series
This goes for every recruitment examination and applies everywhere. You can never be fully confident about a paper unless you solve the actual one, and the previous years papers are the best ‘net practice’ for you before the real match.
You need to solve previous years IBPS PO Exam Papers first and your objectives should be as follows.
- Understand which topics where prominent in IBPS PO Examination
- Were the questions easy, moderate or difficult to solve?
- How much time you were able to dedicate to each section?
- What was your correct/ incorrect ratio while attempting?
- Where you able to score above the IBPS PO Cutoff of that year?
A complete analysis will help you understand where you actually stand. Hence, with the analysis in mind, proceed further and solve IBPS PO Mock Tests and further strengthen your hold not only in IBPS PO English Language section but the entire paper.
Other posts you might be interested in: