Confusing Words With Meaning And Sentences
Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in Bankers Adda. Here we are providing you some confusing words which are very important for all Competitive Exams.
1. Defy -openly resist or refuse to obey.
Synonyms – disobey, refuse to obey, go against, rebel against, flout, fly in the face of, thumb one’s nose at, disregard, ignore etc.
Deify –worship or regard as a god.
Synonyms – worship, revere, venerate, reverence etc.
2. Resource -a stock or supply of money, materials, staff, and other assets that can be drawn on by a person or organization in order to function effectively.
Synonyms – assets, funds, wealth, money, riches, capital, deep pockets etc.
Recourse – a source of help in a difficult situation.
Synonyms – option, possibility, alternative, possible course of action, resort, way out, hope, remedy, choice, expedient etc
Read More: Confusing Words With Their Meanings – Part 2
3. Dual – consisting of two parts, elements, or aspects.
Synonyms – double, twofold, binary etc.
Duel – a prearranged contest with deadly weapons between two people in order to settle a point of honors.
Synonyms – affair of honor, single combat etc.
4. Amoral -lacking a moral sense; unconcerned with the rightness or wrongness of something.
Synonyms -unprincipled, without standards, without morals etc.
Immoral– not conforming to accepted standards of morality.
Synonyms -unethical, bad, morally wrong, wrongful, wicked, evil, unprincipled, unscrupulous, dishonest etc.
5. Compose– (of elements) constitute or make up (a whole, or a specified part of it).
Synonyms – make up, constitute, form etc.
Comprise– consist of; be made up of.
Synonyms – consist of, be made up of, contain, take in, embrace, encompass etc.
6. Vale -a valley (used in place names or as a poetic term).
Veil – a piece of fine material worn by women to protect or conceal the face.
7. Defuse – make (a situation) less tense or dangerous.
Synonyms – reduce, lessen, diminish, lighten, relieve, ease, alleviate, allay, moderate, mitigate etc.
Diffuse – spread out over a large area; not concentrated.
Synonyms -spread out, diffused, scattered, dispersed, not concentrated etc.
8. Casual -relaxed and unconcerned.
Synonyms -relaxed, friendly, natural, informal, unceremonious, unpretentious, easy-going, free and easy, uninhibited, open etc.
Causal -relating to or acting as a cause.
9. Deface -spoil the surface or appearance of (something), for example by drawing or writing on it.
Synonyms – vandalize, disfigure, mar, spoil, ruin, deform, sully, tarnish, damage etc.
Efface -erase (a mark) from a surface.
Synonym– wipe out
10. Ordinance – an authoritative order.
Synonyms – edict, decree, law, injunction, fiat, command, order, rule, ruling, dictum, dictate, directive, mandate, enactment, statute etc.
Ordnance -a branch of government service dealing especially with military stores and materials.
Synonyms– arms, military supplies etc.
Read More: Confusing Words With Their Meanings – Part 3
Other posts you might be interested in: