Confusing Words In English With Examples – Part 5
Do you have confusion between ‘advice’ and ‘advise’? Or do you find difficulty in choosing between ‘lose’ and ‘loose’?
Go through today’s article to learn the correct usage of such confusing words.
CEREAL & SERIAL
Meaning: grain used to make food products
- Give me a bowl of cereals.
- He prefers cereals for breakfast.
Meaning: Television show (series)
DESSERT & DESERT
Meaning: Sweet dish served after a meal
- The meal includes a dessert.
- The chocolate syrup is the perfect dessert.
Meaning: Barron or uncultivated area
- Drought and deforestation are turning the land into desert.
- It is difficult to survive in deserts.
PRINCIPAL & PRINCIPLE
Meaning: Main, important or at higher position
- He is a principal of our college.
- These are the principal cities of our country.
Rules or standards
- You should have knowledge of the basic principles of justice.
- He is a man of principles.
STATIONERY & STATIONARY
Meaning: Writing and office material like notebooks, pens, paper etc.
- Get me a notebook from the office stationery.
- He is a stationery supplier.
Meaning: Not moving, or not changing in quantity or condition
- A stationary vehicle is the cause of an accident.
- The population of the town is stationary.
AVERSE & ADVERSE
Meaning: Strong dislike or opposition to something
- He is averse to sugar and oily items.
- She is averse to smoking and drinking.
Meaning: unfavourable or harmful
- He performed well even under adverse conditions.
- Weather conditions are adverse in the town.
ELICIT & ILLICIT
Meaning: Evoke or draw out(reactions, answers, facts) from someone
- I tried to elicit the secret from him.
- The show elicits huge public interest.
Meaning: Something illegal or not allowed
- The government is trying to end the illicit drugs trade.
- He is involved in illicit trade.
DIARY and DAIRY
Meaning: A book to keep written record
- Keep a diary for recording important events.
- I write in this diary every night.
Meaning: Relating to milk and milk products
- Cheese is a dairy product.
- Milk will be delivered at your doorstep from our dairy.
ADOPT & ADAPT
Meaning: Making something legally your own or to follow something
- They are planning to adopt a child.
- A couple has adopted two children.
Meaning: Adjusting oneself to an environment or condition
- Kangaroos have adapted themselves to dry and infertile climate.
- You should adapt yourself to your company’s policy.
AFFECT & EFFECT
Meaning: To make a difference or having effect on
- He was affected by the incident.
- He said that his health would not affect his performance.
Meaning: Result or consequence of an action
- This had a negative effect on their relationship.
- Their attitude has a large effect on the results.
COMPLEMENT & COMPLIMENT
Meaning: Complete something or someone or to make something perfect
Her footwear complement to her dress.
Accessories are an important complement to ladies attire.
Meaning: Praising or admiration
- She complimented my dress.
- She looked so beautiful that’s why she received so many compliments.
ADVICE & ADVISE
Meaning: Guidance or recommendation offered, or opinion about what can be done.
- Many lawyers in the city offer free advice.
- He should take advice from his doctor.
Meaning: to give advice, or to offer suggestions or counseling
- I advised him to see a doctor.
- He advised his mother.
LOSE & LOOSE
Meaning: To suffer the loss of something
- I don’t want to lose the opportunity.
- She was very upset about losing her job.
Meaning: opposite of tight
- Her dress is loose.
- The lid of the container is loose.
Check your knowledge by answering these questions:
Check your knowledge by answering these questions:
|_____ are good for health.||cereal/ serial||Cereals|
|The theme of the_____ is women empowerment.||cereal/ serial||Serial|
|The ______ reason behind her failure was a lack of interest.||principal /principles||principal|
|He has given resignation over a matter of ______||principal /principles||principles|
|The sands of the _______ are entering grasslands.||desert/ dessert||desert|
|Pancakes are perfect ______||desert/ dessert||desserts|
|Avoid wearing these _____ t-shirts at the workplace.||lose /loose||loose|
|It’s a great loss to ______ a potential customer.||lose /loose||lose|
|Sleeping pills are not _____||advise/advice||advised|
|She gave me a lot of ______||advise/advice||advice|
|He always receives ____ for his work.||compliment/ complement||compliments|
|A dessert is a ______ to a meal.||compliment/ complement||complement|
|Soft music has a soothing ____||effect / affect||effect|
|New rules would____the company.||effect / affect||affect|
|He is reluctant to ____ to change.||adapt/ adopt||adapt|
|The committee is in favour of____ the proposal.||adapt/ adopt||adopting|
|_____ products are a good source of energy.||dairy/ diary||Dairy|
|He writes about his trips in his travel …… .||dairy/ diary||diary|
|They are involved in the …… business.||illicit/ elicit||illicit|
|He is worried as his work …… no reaction at all.||illicit/ elicit||elicits|
|Taxes have an ……. effect on the industry.||adverse/ averse||adverse|
|They are ….. to western music.||adverse/ averse||averse|
|Our …… shop has a range of office supplies.||stationery/ stationary||stationery|
|The camera is ……||stationery/ stationary||stationary|
Other posts you might be interested in: